The Mini Cooper has been around for about 60 years (nee 1959). Throughout the years, vehicles (not only mini) made up until 1990 or 2000 were not considered wholly reliable. It is only in the last two decades that most cars have become reliable. Relatively, today it is rare to see car breakdowns on the highways. There are many phenomenal Mini’s out there, so let’s look at the best used Mini Coopers.
A NEW LEASE ON LIFE
In 2000, Mini Cooper was taken over by the German carmaker, BMW, and the new owners knew that they had a product with potential. Most people liked the iconic Mini Cooper, but if it was to survive, they had to fix the issues. What is the best year for Mini Cooper? BMW engineers went back to the drawing board to renovate the car. It took several years to iron everything out, and, starting in 2014, a re-engineered Mini Cooper with the same iconic exterior was produced. Now, eight years later, the problems that once were a turnoff to buyers have disappeared and Mini Cooper is again in demand, and not only in North America but across the globe. It has taken a while but, judging from sales and car ratings, the Mini Cooper is doing well and is back on track. If you had to buy a used Mini, however, how far would you have to go back to get the best used Mini Cooper?
CAREFULLY INSPECT THESE MINIS
First, if you are searching for the best used cars, if possible, it is best to avoid models made before 2015, no matter how inexpensive they seem to be. This includes the first-generation Mini Coopers from 2002-2006 and the second-generation Minis from 2007 to 2013. Granted, there are a few older models that are great cars, but considering the history of the first and second-generation Minis, it is a gamble, especially if you are not a mechanic. So, what is the best year for Mini Cooper?
GOOD MINIS MADE AFTER 2015
The most reliable Minis are those that have been produced from 2015 up to 2021. However, if you go by consumer reports, the best used Mini Coopers are those made between 2018 and 2021. The price of a used Mini Cooper depends on the model, make, year, and mileage of the vehicle. In general, used Mini Coopers from 2018 to 2022 will cost anywhere from $20,000 to $35,000. The annual maintenance cost for a used Mini Cooper varies from $300-$750.
Since the takeover of Mini Cooper by BMW, the latter has made several important changes to the car, which include the following:
- The length and height of the car have been increased to enlarge cargo space and improve passenger comfort.
- Almost all Minis come with extra bundles of goodies that include cold weather package, sports package, premium package, and Mini wired package.
- In 2015, by upgrading the base of the 3-cylinder engine, the Mini has become an ultra-low emitting vehicle without compromising its performance or power.
- In 2017, the manufacturers introduced four new body colors that include midnight black. pepper white, Lapis luxury blue, and British racing green.
- In 2018, the Minis came with a rearview camera and rear parking sensors as standard.
- In 2019, the exterior was updated with the Union Jack insignia on the taillights.
- The latest Gen 3 models feature a 4-door hatchback, which is a slightly bigger car than its predecessors. The 2022 model also features a new front-end fascia with a large grille.
Over the past few years, surveys indicate that Mini Coopers made after 2015 have had very few recalls and consumer reports indicate no major issues. There are ample positive reviews about used Mini Coopers from 2015 onward that you can check out.
If you decide to buy a used Mini, here are some tips:
- First, buy the used Mini Cooper from a reputable dealer.
- Get the car thoroughly inspected no matter whom you buy it from.
- Get a VIN check and a detailed report on the car’s history.
- The key to longevity and trouble-free driving is regular maintenance. A few hundred dollars spent on annual maintenance will save you a major league headache later.
- Finally, if you want your Mini Cooper to last, adopt good driving habits.
Give Braman Motorcars a call at 1-561-666-4791, their Mini Cooper division, and ask about the best used Mini Coopers to get an expert’s advice.